Whirlwind Fighter Project

- Recreating a majestic fighter of WW2

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > 1/3rd scale Radio cobtrolled Whirlwind

Doug

Hi, to my shame I am not a particularly active member of the project and this is my first forum bit.   I have been reading about the plastic models (of which I have two untoutched kits) but I thought that some of you might be interested to know that I am building a 1/3 rd scale Radio Controlled flying model of the Pride of Yeovil.

It is 10 ft span, should weigh about 25 lbs (hopefully) and is driven with two electric motors giving 5 hp total. So far I have built the basic fuz the wings and the tail/stabaliser. I am now starting the nacells and the flaps (but need to work out the geometry of these) and the undercarraige. Then starts the real work of the detail. For the rivet counters I am trying to make this as authentic as I can but this can seriously add weight so there will be a limit. I am not very computer literate and do not know how to include photo's but if any one is interested I will aske my daughter how to do it and post some shots.  Doug G

June 10, 2017 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Shepherd

I like the sound of that project, Doug.  I am sure all the Whirlwind fans will be keen to see the completed model.  Where are you based?

June 11, 2017 at 3:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug
June 11, 2017 at 3:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

HI Ed

I live in Gloucestershire and am a members of a model club that fly at Aston Down airfield.

June 11, 2017 at 3:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Hi Doug!

Are you working from plans? You should probably check the scale of it. The full size one is 45 ft span so should be 15 ft in 1/3rd. If it is 10 ft wingspan, its probably 1/4,5 scale. If so, the fuselage should be about 7ft 2-21/32in.

Anyway, if you want to check any dimensions or details just ask. I'll do my best to help.

Good luck with your project. :)

--

Gunnar

June 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

Hi Gunner

You are right and it was a slip of memory when I wrote it - it is 9 foot wingspan (not 10). Many thanks for offering your help and perhaps you can give me some guidance.

I have the four technical information books but one tells me that the rudder  is scalloped on one side below the stabaliser and one of the others says that it is scalloped both below and above the stab and another says that it is scalloped on both sides! any suggestions on what might be correct?.

Also it shows on the top  of the wings a seris of grooves or raised ridges on the fuel tanks - I assume they are stiffeners but are they raised above the surface or grooved below?

June 15, 2017 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Shepherd

I look forward to seeing the completed model in majestic flight.

June 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Confusing, isn't it :/

The rudder is scalloped on both sides below the stabilizer, but not above. The tricky part is that the rudder section is asymmetrical and the scallops differ from one side to the other. On the upper part of the rudder, there's a blister on the port side instead. On top of that, the rudder hinge is offset 2 1/4" to starboard. Everything is done to optimize aerodynamics, i.e. no visible rods and no sharp corners for the airflow.

--

Gunnar

June 19, 2017 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

The fuel tanks are actually raised above the wing surface entirely. It is due to the self sealing rubber layer. You have the wing/tank surface, then a rubbe layer and finaly a protective sheet of aluminium. On top of that, strips of aluminium stringers riveted to the 4 tank baffles. (3 for the front tank)

The tank is in two parts, divided by the main wing spar.

--

Gunnar

June 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

Hi Gunner

Many thanks - these photos are magic and have given me so much scale detail that I can now incorporate into the model

As for the info the strips on the fuel tanks they have puzzled me for ages but now all is clear. I think that I will hinge the rudder in a conventional way as the mechanisim looks pretty complicated and at this scale might be a little frail if I tried follow it exactly.Am I right in thinking that the little spikey thing poking up from behind the nacelle is the flap indicater?? 

If you are interested I will try and put some photo's of it on this forum.

June 21, 2017 at 6:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Hi Doug,

That's the undercarriage indicator, red and white striped. Please do put some photos up here, look forward to follow your project.

If you want some nice details, you should check out this book: http://www.valiant-wings.co.uk/airframe-album-no4-72-p.asp

Excellent with lots of information for scale model builders.

--

Gunnar

June 22, 2017 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

Thyanks Guuner - much obliged I will get some photo's on soon.   Doug

June 22, 2017 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

You can actually see one of the original rudder drawings here: http://www.whirlwindfighterproject.org/apps/photos/photo?photoid=198380446

--

Gunnar

June 24, 2017 at 6:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.