Whirlwind Fighter Project

- Recreating a majestic fighter of WW2

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > CAD gallery

Matt
Administrator

Petrex at January 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hello Gunnar,

Do you need any help? I have my own License of Solidworks and MODO601. I like to engineer the 20 mm. cannon if possible.

Hello Petrex

The cannons are already allocated I'm sorry to say, however there is one "sub-assembly" that is in need of some serious effort.  The Peregrine engine needs to be modelled in CAD from some drawings we have and quite a number of photos to help.  It's merely intended to be a shell and not functional in any way beyond supporting the propeller.  It was hoped we had someone for it but they've since had to pull out.  I wonder if you would be interested?

--

January 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Petrex

Hell Matt,

it is unfortunate that the guns have already been allocated. But the engine is also a big challenge! I am ready to start with the modeling of the engine! It will be a big task and I hope you don't need it within a week! Could you send me your available drawings and photos to study.

--

Petrex

January 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Hi Petrex

Great to see you are up to the challenge ! We'll give you at least a week and a half. ;)

Thanks for joining us !

--

Gunnar

February 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mossie

I'm thinking I may be able to help on the CAD, do you have some items you'd like me to pick up?
I use Solid Edge ST5.

--

Gerry "Mossie" Mos

3D CAD and WW1 and WW2 interests.

Solid Edge ST5

February 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Administrator

Mossie at February 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I'm thinking I may be able to help on the CAD, do you have some items you'd like me to pick up?
I use Solid Edge ST5.

That's very kind of you to offer Mossie, but with Petrex taking up the engine all the work that can be allocated is already.   That's not to say that won't change.  There are sub-assemblies that do need doing, we simply don't have the research done to get started on it.  

One big job is the undercarriage and we believe Messier-Dowty have what we need.  We're attempting to get at it but things seem to have faltered for the moment.

We could do with more researchers at the moment to feed the CAD work.

cheers

Matt

--

February 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Small update to show centre fuselage structure. Still missing a lot of pieces, but starting to look good.

It takes a lot of time finding all dimensions by comparing pictures and other known dimensions to get the parts correct ( or very close to ).

--

Gunnar

February 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Petrex

Hello Gunnar,

I quess, you are missing two engines ;-)

--

Petrex

February 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Hello René,

You are quite right... Do you have a couple of them lying around ? :P

--

Gunnar

February 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Time for an update again. Concentrated  on the centre fuselage this time. The connection between rear and centre fuselage have been made. The slanted  frame 10 is made to fit surrounding geometry as limited information is available. One of the nice things with 3D models is the use of other geometries to make missing components. After all, they have to fit the surrounding geometry - so shape and size gives itself based on the other components.

Also a new coupé rear canopy has been made, now with the right shape according to photographs and wind tunnel drawing sections.

--

Gunnar

February 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Another view, this time with wing spars. Needed those for aligning geometry on the centre fuselage. Well, back to detailing. :)

--

Gunnar

March 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Petrex

Looking good Gunnar! Where do you get your dimensions from? Is this from the windtunnel model? Could you send me the Whirlwind logo? It is a good idea to put it on each picture. This evening I went on with the engine. Do you have any information about the progress of the other CAD projects?

--

Petrex

March 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Thanks René!

Well, Dimensions are a mix of different sources. The windtunnel model drawing date have been used for creating the outer surface, along with those GA drawings we have available. The GAs also give some dimensions to stringers and profiles. Then we have The repair manual with a lot of dimensions on details and sheet gauges. And then, there's pure logic... Using one part of the 3d model to generate surrounding geometry. After all, most of the parts should fit together :)

I'm not sure how the other projects are progressing, I sort of live in my own 'structure' buble...

--

Gunnar

March 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Just another update. I have been working with refinement of the existing structure and adding details to the fuselage. The external front part of the fuselage have been made, and also a windscreen. Details will be added when all measures from the windscreen we have access to have been processed.

--

Gunnar

March 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Eastman
Site Owner

Gunnar can you clear your in box please ??.

Mike E

March 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr BlueSky
Administrator

Sexy little minx isn't she... 8)

March 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

She sure is !!!

And it helps putting her in the right environment as well...

Wing tips and radiator openings added, and a lot of internal stuff you don't see...

--

Gunnar

April 12, 2013 at 3:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hairyspin

What a beauty!! Would you mind an erstwhile flightsim modeler asking for some sizes from time to time?

April 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Not a problem, ask away. Not sure we can answer all enquiries though, as you know she's still a work in progress... ;)

--

Gunnar

April 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Hayward
Administrator

Beautiful work Gunnar

--

Forwarned is Forarmed

April 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gunnar Olsen

Thanks Chris!

Here is a look at the internals...